Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Deep Lessons from an 18 Year Old

It was dark, and I found my way around the back quietly. I did not want the neighbors to hear me. The back door was locked, but not quite latched, and it swung open with a gentle shove.

I made my way down the dark steps to the next door, and fumbled for the latch. The old door creaked softly, and I entered looking around. There is not much to see in the dark, but I saw a shadowed movement ahead of me. I called out with a whisper, and a soft voice came from the darkness.

Feeling my way to the hanging chain, my fingers felt the cold steel, and I tugged to reveal the bare bulb in all its brilliance.

Turning to the room again I looked for her. She appeared around the corner, with the graceful movements with which only the most beautiful make walking an art. As the other nights, she came to hug my neck, and I wondered to myself, "What does this eighteen year old have to teach me? Is there wisdom in her days, which I have not gained, or perhaps I have forgotten? Is this really why I am here?"

Without a word I knew. Intimacy is key to knowing, and it is the blessing of life.

I would have to leave soon, and go back home to my wife.

Of course, another lesson dawned on me too - A little food helps. I put her down, and scooped the cat food into the bowl. "Good Kitty, see you tomorrow."


"This is life, that they may know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou has sent."
"This is my commandment, That you love one another, as I have loved you."

This is my lesson from feeding the cat for Mike and Stef.

2 comments:

Pastor Phil said...

Thanks MM,

Your story about Ricky on your blog was a thinking person's story. Thanks for that too.

mikeofearthsea said...

You forgot the part about postachio (sp?) ice cream...

;-)